Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Seasickness Leaving the Dominican Republic

Tropical flower
We had a fabulous two weeks in the Dominican Republic.  Enjoying the fruit and vegetables.  Eating out for under $10 for both of us.  Enjoying the $1.50 22 oz. beers - Presidente and Bohemia.  And touring around the island by land, taking several day trips to Puerta Plata, Sosua and Santiago.  We also made several great friends in Luperon, other cruisers, who we were sad to say good-bye to when the time came to leave.
At the dock in Luperon
Our return voyage back to the Bahamas from the Dominican Republic differed in two ways from the arrival:  seasickness and speed.  We left Luperon harbor just before sunset and had little time to adjust to the high, jolting seas before the horizon disappeared into the darkness.  Having the horizon to focus your eyes on is key in preventing seasickness when vigorously rolling back and forth in a boat.  Also, being on land and a very calm, still anchorage for 2 weeks, you begin to lose some of that sea tolerance to motion sickness.
Tanqueray anchored in Luperon
On land for a night in our $25 hotel room in Luperon
We both had spent the past week recovering from a cold that we picked up while taking public transportation through the island.  Public transportation in the Dominican Republic consists of jumping in a Toyota Corolla (taxi) with 6 other people already in the car.  When you are use to being alone at sea, void of all germs, and then are suddenly thrown into a packed car where people are lapping up, germs are your worst enemy.  That being said, we had a rough voyage leaving the Dominican Republic.
Country side in the Dominican Repulic (view from taxi)
Beach in Sosua
Catholic church in Puerta Plata
Visiting the Big City - Santiago
Museum in Santiago
About an hour into the trip, Mike said he wasn’t feeling too well.  I thought I was fine, but little did I know that I was getting seasick too.  In the end, I beat him to it, and threw up.  I thought I’d feel much better after puking, but quite the opposite happened.  I couldn’t stop throwing up and I was not much help to Mike at the helm.  At this point, Mike didn’t have many options, so he continued to steer the boat along with trusty Otto (our electric auto-helm; we treat as a crew member) through the night.  Meanwhile, I lay in misery on the floor with no strength to grab a pillow, still in my foulies, a puke bucket by my side and my head resting questionably close to Nelly’s rancid litter box that was way over due for a cleaning. 
Our mechanic, Marino, who fixed out
outboard for $9, in the DR
Thank you Mike for taking this
lovely picture of me seasick.
Yes, I did consider death.  It was a horrible feeling and I thought I’d be much better off dead than seasick!  I finally feel asleep and awoke in the Turks and Caicos a little after sunrise.  Mike was exhausted at this point, so I took over at the helm, feeling much better.  I’m glad seasickness is a rare occasion for me, it would be tough to travel feeling that sickly. 

Market in the DR

The rough seas were subsiding as we entered into the banks of the Turks and Caicos.   We arrived early afternoon to French Cay and anchored for the night.  We were overwhelmed with the beautiful crystal clear blue waters as we entered the anchorage.  It’s good to be on our way home to the Bahamas!

Mango's and avocado's!
Anchorage in Luperon

For my BPA friends.  Transmission towers in the Dominican Republic.

Mike in the bosun's chair about to be hoisted up the mast

Mike going up a friends mast to do some work

Mike at a restaurant in Luperon 
Going down the natural waterslide

1 comment: